Saturday, January 08, 2005

Compulsory Blogging?

From Graham :

"Do you think it's necessary to set assignments to encourage students to blog? There's always the danger that if students think that the weblog is compulsory, then it might generate a negative attitude towards it.

I've experimented with both compulsory / optional blogging with students and have to say that, in my experience, although you can get some negative reactions at first, in the long run, making blog posts part of the course (ie. compulsory)worked out better."

Joel wrote:

"We have always made responding compulsory and part of their grade. This came from our earlier research on listservs that some students really got into in and some didn't. We also have specific goals for using blogs that are an integral part of the writing process the the students have to do them in the same way they would have to do anything else. We require a certain length and be posted reguarly, which are the only requirements for getting credit. Blogs are usually about 20% of their class grade, so all the students have to do to get a full mark is post."

My remarks:

It's a very interesting question.... I've also experimented with compulsory and optional blogging. I don't like the word 'compulsory'. Do you?. At the same time, I understand that some things have to be done .
I would not make blogs part of my students' grades. A blog is a personal journal of your students' thoughts, comments and ideas. I agree that compulsory blogging might generate a negative attitude towards it.

1 Comments:

At 4:44 AM, Blogger blog-efl said...

I think this is a very interesting discussion to open up to debate. I agree with you that in an ideal world a blog should and could be "a personal journal of your students' thoughts, comments and ideas", but in my experience, practicality keeps cropping up.

If a student has not been shown the value of keeping a journal such as this, then, how can he/she be encouraged? One possible ways is to introduce the students to blogs as part of a course, and ask them to write as part of the expectations of the course (in the same way a student is expected to do more traditional homework) - I try to let students choose what to write about, only asking that they write about something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home